Southern Wesleyan Ends Regular Season In A Tie

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Mount Olive, N.C. – Southern Wesleyan tied against the Mount Olive Trojans in a 1-1 final to end the regular season in double overtime.

The Warriors took 16 shots with seven shots on goal in the tie to the Trojans.  Marcel Joseph led the team with five shots and three shots-on-goal.  Grant Kiker and David Chaker each had two shots-on-goal.  Marcel Joseph scored the lone goal for the Warriors.  Miguel Uribe played all 110 minutes in goal for Southern Wesleyan, allowing one goal and having 11 saves.


Game Vitals

Final: Southern Wesleyan 1, Mount Olive 1

Records: Southern Wesleyan (5-8-3 / CC 4-3-3), Mount Olive (8-6-2 / 4-4-2)


How It Happened

Southern Wesleyan started strong on a shot by Grant Kiker.  However, Trojans goalkeeper Preston Snyder saved the ball to keep the Warriors from scoring.  However minutes later, Marcel Joseph delivered a backwards bicycle kick to score a goal for the Warriors and give Southern Wesleyan a 1-0 lead over Mount Olive.  However, the Warriors would not relent as David Chaker put up back-to-back shots on goal, but they were both saved by the goal keeper.  Southern Wesleyan leads 1-0 at half time.

Barely five minutes into the second half, Mount Olive's Trevor Knight received a header from teammates and drove the ball around the Warriors defense to tie the game 1-1.  Southern Wesleyan's Juan Sebastian Castro countered to take a shot that flew high above the goal.  Grant Kiker drove the ball down the field and shot the ball, but it barely missed the goal to the right of the post.  A shot by Marcel Joseph and header by Marshall Ball were blocked.  The Trojans attempted to lengthen their lead but Miguel Uribe took the ball away to keep the game tied 1-1.  Mount Olive's Sebastian Loibl drilled the ball to the net on a free kick, but Miguel Uribe leapt in front of it to prevent the Trojans from pulling ahead.  The second half ended with the game still tied 1-1.

With the first round of overtime beginning, both teams pushed the ball forward in an attempt to pull ahead.  A shot by Sebastian Loibl was blocked and then a shot by Grant Kiker was saved by the Trojan goalkeeper.  Going into the second overtime period, David Chaker took a shot, but it was blocked.  Despite a hard fought game, the Warriors and Trojans tied 1-1.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will begin postseason play on October 31.  They will travel to Chowan to take on the #4 seed Hawks at 2 p.m.