Warriors Unable to Hold onto First Half Lead

Photo by John Bolton Photography
Photo by John Bolton Photography

Central, SC – Southern Wesleyan fell to the Shaw Bears in double overtime on Wednesday afternoon in a 5-4 final.

The Warriors put up 21 shots and 11 shots on goal in the loss to the Bears.  Ashley Romanowski led the team with eight shots and six shots on goal.  She was followed by Rachel Curtis with four shots and two shots on goal.  Romanowski led the team with two goals while both Curtis and Helen Schweiger each had one goal in the loss.  Joy Namyst had the lone assist of the afternoon.  Caitlynn Nixon started the game in goal for the Warriors and had eight saves.


Game Vitals

Final: Shaw 5, Southern Wesleyan 4

Records: Southern Wesleyan (6-9) Shaw (10-3)


Coach Morrell says…

"Tough game today.  We did some things well today, but in the end not good enough by me.  The players fought hard and worked to score four goals, but I have to do a better job of coaching them up, getting us prepared and staying focused for 90 minutes."


How It Happened

Southern Wesleyan jumped out early against Shaw as Ashley Romanowski weaved around the Bears goalkeeper and put the ball into the net to give the Warriors a 1-0 lead.  Shaw challenged back, but Caitlynn Nixon and the Warriors defense kept the ball away from the net.  Helen Schweiger took a free kick after a foul by the Bears and cleared the ball past Shaw's defense to allow the Warriors to take a 2-0 lead at half.

Shaw countered in the second half as Teffie-Ann Browne got behind the Warriors defense to put the Bears down 2-1.  However, minutes later Joy Namyst passed the ball up to Rachel Curtis who put it in the net and give the Warriors a 3-1 advantage.  The Bears countered with back-to-back goals by Jasa Curry to tie the Warriors 3-3.  Southern Wesleyan continued to pressure as Ashley Romanowski drove the ball to the net to put the Warriors on top 4-3.  Chelsea Greene and Romanowski each put shots in, but the Warriors were unable to capitalize as the Bears defense blocked their attempts.  The Bears were able to tie the game 4-4 and force the game to go into overtime.

The Bears and Warriors challenged each other in first overtime period.  Makala Latsch shot the ball toward the net, however the shot went wide and force both teams to go into a second overtime period.  Latsch put in a second shot in the next over time, but Caylie Hartman saved the ball.  The Bears went on to get past the Warriors defense seconds later to win the game 5-4.


What's Next

Southern Wesleyan will conclude the regular season on Friday as they take on the University of Mount Olive Trojans at 4:30 p.m.